Christopher D. Corso, MD, PhD
About Dr. Corso
"Sometimes I'll tell my patients to put their worries on me and let me be their rock. That's what I'm here for; and you just worry about getting through your days, and let me worry about your cancer, because that's what I'm trained to do, and that's what I'll do for you."Dr. Corso
May 1, 2018
North Carolina #2017-00143
South Carolina #40633
Awards & Affiliations
Yale University School of Medicine
2012 - 2017
New Haven, Connecticut
PGY 1, Preliminary Medicine, 2012 - 2013 PGY 2 - 5, Radiation Oncology, 2013 – 2017 Chief Resident, Radiation Oncology, 2016 – 2017 Chairman: Peter Glazer, MD, PhD Program Director: Roy Decker, MD, PhD
Emory University School of Medicine
2008 - 2012
Doctor of Medicine, Cum Laude
Georgia Institute of Technology
2004 - 2008
PhD in Bioengineering, Thesis Advisor: William D. Hunt PhD, Thesis Title: Theoretical and experimental development of a ZnO-Based laterally excited thickness shear mode acoustic wave immunosensor for cancer biomarker detection
Georgia Institute of Technology
2000 - 2004
Bachelor of Science, Computer Engineering, Highest Honors
Radiation Oncologist, SERO
Find Dr. Corso’s full list of publications on PubMed here.
- Gao SJ, Park HS, Corso CD, Rutter CE, Kahn SA, Johung KL. Post-operative radiotherapy is associated with improved survival in esophageal cancer with positive surgical margins. J Gastroinestinal Oncol 2017; 8(6):953-961.
- Yeboa DN, Rutter CE, Park HS, Lester-Coll NH, Corso CD, Mancini BR, Bindra RS, Contessa J, Yu JB. Patterns of care and outcomes for use of concurrent chemoradiotherapy over radiotherapy alone for anaplastic gliomas. Radiother Oncol, 2017; 125(2):258-265.
- King AR, Corso CD, Chen EM, Song E, Bongiorni P, Chen Z, Sundaram RK, Bindra RS, Saltzman WM. Local DNA Repair Inhibition for Sustained Radiosensitization of High-Grade Gliomas. Mol Cancer Ther 2017;16(8):1456-1469.
- Gao SJ, Park HS, Corso CD, Rutter CE, Kim AW, Johung KL. Role of Adjuvant Treatment in Esophageal Cancer With Incidental Pathologic Node Positivity. Ann Thorac Surg 2017; 104(1):267-274.
- Corso CD, Bindra RS, Mehta MP. The role of radiation in treating glioblastoma: here to stay. J Neurooncol 2017; 134(3):479-485.
- Sulkowski PL, Corso CD, Robinson ND, Scanlon SE, Purshouse KR, Bai H, Liu Y, Sundaram RK, Hegan DC, Fons NR, Breuer GA, Song Y, Mishra-Gorur K, De Feyter HM, de Graaf RA, Surovtseva YV, Kachman M, Halene S, Günel M, Glazer PM, Bindra RS. 2-Hydroxyglutarate produced by neomorphic IDH mutations suppresses homologous recombination and induces PARP inhibitor sensitivity. Sci Transl Med 2017; 9(375)
- Stahl JM, Corso CD, Verma V, Park HS, Nath SK, Husain ZA, Simone CB 2nd, Kim AW, Decker RH. Trends in stereotactic body radiation therapy for stage I small cell lung cancer. Lung Cancer 2017; 103:11-16.
- Gao SJ, Corso CD, Blasberg JD, Detterbeck FC, Boffa DJ, Decker RH, Kim AW. Role of Adjuvant Therapy for Node-Negative Lung Cancer Invading the Chest Wall. Clin Lung Cancer 2017; 18(2): 169-177.
- Corso CD, Park HS, Moreno AC, Kim AW, Husain ZA, Yu JB, Decker RH. Stage I lung SBRT clinical practice patterns. Am J Clin Oncol 2017; 40(4):358-361.
- Husain ZA, Chen T, Corso CD, Wang Z, Park H, Judson B, Yarbrough W, Deshpande H, Mehra S, Kuo P, Decker RH, Burtness BA. A Comparison of Prognostic Ability of Staging Systems for Human Papillomavirus-Related Oropharyngeal Squamous Cell Carcinoma. JAMA Oncol 2017; 3(3):358-365.
- Gao SJ, Corso CD, Wang EH, Blasberg JD, Detterbeck FC, Boffa DJ, Decker RH, Kim AW. Timing of Surgery after Neoadjuvant Chemoradiation in Locally Advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer. J Thorac Oncol 2017; 12(2):314-322.
- Stahl JM, Corso CD, Park HS, An Y, Rutter CE, Han D, Roberts KB. The effect of microscopic margin status on survival in adult retroperitoneal soft tissue sarcomas. Eur J Surg Oncol 2017; 43(1):168-174.
- Corso CD, Bindra RS. Success and Failures of Combined Modalities in Glioblastoma Multiforme: Old Problems and New Directions. Semin Radiat Oncol 2016; 26(4)281-298.
- Lester-Coll NH, Park HS, Rutter CE, Corso CD, Mancini BR, Yeboa DN, Kim SP, Gross CP, Yu JB. The Association Between Evaluation at Academic Centers and the Likelihood of Expectant Management in Low-risk Prostate Cancer. Urology 2016; 96:128-135.
- Mancini BR, Park HS, Harder EM, Rutter CE, Corso CD, Decker RH, Husain ZA. Elderly patients undergoing SBRT for inoperable early-stage NSCLC achieve similar outcomes to younger patients. Lung Cancer 2016; 97:22-27.
- Kole AJ, Park HS, Yeboa DN, Rutter CE, Corso CD, Aneja S, Lester-Coll NH, Mancini BR, Knisely JP, Yu JB. Concurrent chemoradiotherapy versus radiotherapy alone for “biopsy only” glioblastoma multiforme. Cancer 2016; 122(15): 2364-70.
- Lester-Coll NH, Park HS, Rutter CE, Corso CD, Young MR, Ratner ES, Litkouhi B, Decker RH, Yu JB, Damast S. Who Benefits from chemoradiation in stage III-IVA endometrial cancer? An analysis of the National Cancer Data Base. Gynecol Oncol 2016; 142(1):54-61.
- Wang EH, Corso CD, Park HS, Chen AB, Wilson LD, Kim AW, Decker RH, Yu JB, Association between radiation dose and outcomes with postoperative radiotherapy for N0-N1 non-small cell lung cancer. Am Journal Clin Oncol
- Corso CD, Rutter CE, Park HS, Lester-Coll NH, Kim AW, Wilson LD, Husain ZH, Lilenbaum RC, Yu JB, Decker RH. The role of chemoradiotherapy in elderly patients with limited stage small-cell lung cancer. J Clin Oncol 2015; 33(36):4240-4246.
- Park HS, Wang EW, Rutter CE, Corso CD, Chiang VL, Yu JB. Changing practice patterns of Gamma Knife versus linear accelerator-based stereotactic radiosurgery for brain metastases in the US. J Neurosurg 2016; 124(4):1018-1024.
- Rutter CE, Park HS, Corso CD, Lester-Coll NH, Mancini BR, Yeboa DN, Johung KL. Addition of radiotherapy to adjuvant chemotherapy is associated with improved overall survival in resected pancreatic adenocarcinoma: An analysis of the National Cancer Data Base. Cancer 2015; 121(23):4141-4149.
- Rutter CE, Park HS, Corso CD, Yeboa DN, Mancini BR, Lester-Coll NH, Kim AW, Decker RH. Comparison of survival outcomes among standard radiotherapy regimens in limited-stage small cell lung cancer patients receiving concurrent chemoradiation. Lung Cancer 2015; 90(2);243-248.
- Wang EH, Corso CD, Rutter CE, Park HS, Chen AB, Kim AW, Wilson LD, Decker RH, Yu JB. Postoperative radiation therapy is associated with improved overall survival in incompletely resected stage II and III non-small-cell lung cancer. J Clinical Oncol 2015; 33(35):2727-2734.
- Corso CD, Park HS, Kim AW, Yu JB, Husain Z, Decker RH. Racial disparities in the use of SBRT for treating early-stage lung cancer. Lung Cancer 2015; 89(2):133-138.
- Husain ZA, Kim AW, Yu JB, Decker RH, Corso CD. Defining the high-risk population for mortality after resection of early stage NSCLC. Clin Lung Cancer, 2015; 16(6):e183-187.
- Rutter CE, Lester-Coll NH, Mancini BR, Corso CD, Park HS, Yeboa DN, Gross CP, Evans SB. The evolving role of adjuvant radiotherapy in elderly women with early stage breast cancer. Cancer 2015; 121(14):2331-2340.
- Wang EH, Rutter CE, Corso CD, Decker RH, Wilson LD, Kim AW, Yu JB, Park HS. Patients selected for definitive concurrent chemoradiation at high-volume facilities achieve improved survival in stage III non-small cell lung cancer. J Thorac Oncol 2015; 10(6):937-943.
- Corso CD, Rutter CE, Wilson LD, Kim AW, Decker RH, Husain ZA. Re-evaluation of the role of post-operative radiotherapy and the impact of radiation dose for non-small cell lung cancer using the National Cancer Database. J Thorac Oncol 2015; 10(1):148-55.
- Rutter CE, Corso CD, Park HS, Mancini BR, Yeboa DN, Lester-Coll NH, Kim AW, Decker RH. Increase in the use of lung stereotactic body radiotherapy without a preceding biopsy in the United States. Lung Cancer 2014; 85(3):390-394.
- Corso CD, Jarrio C, Nunnery EW, Ali AN, Ghavidel S, Rossi PJ, Diaz R. Dosimetric and cost comparison of first fraction imaging versus fractional re-imaging on critical organ dose in vaginal cuff brachytherapy. Practical Radiation Oncology 2013; 3(4)256-262.
- Corso CD, Ali AN, Diaz R. Radiation-Induced Tumor Neoantigens: Imaging and Therapeutic Implications. Am J Cancer Res 2011; 1(3):390-412.
- Corso CD, Dickherber A, Hunt WD. An investigation of antibody immobilization methods employing organosilanes on planar ZnO surfaces for biosensor applications. Biosensors and Bioelectronics 2008; 24(4):811-7.
- Dickherber A, Corso CD, Hunt WD. Optimization and characterization of a ZnO biosensor array. Sensors & Actuators A 2008; 144(1):7-12.
- Corso CD, Dickherber A, Hunt WD. Lateral field excitation of thickness shear mode waves in a thin film ZnO solidly mounted resonator. J Appl Phys 2007; 101
- Corso CD, Stubbs DD, Lee SH, Goggins M, Hruban RH, Hunt WD. Real-time detection of mesothelin in pancreatic cancer cell line supernatant using an acoustic wave immunosensor. Cancer Detection and Prevention 2006; 30:180-187.
- Kenney AM, Castellino RC, Moots P, Corso CD, Mehta P. Medulloblastoma in Adults. Textbook of Uncommon Cancer 2017;10:917-938.
- Corso CD, Bindra RS. Glioma Radiosensitizers: Exciting New Developments and Directions. Malignant Brain Tumors 2017; 233-240.
- Corso CD, Bindra RS, Glazer PM, Sulkowski PL, Robinson ND, Scanlon SE, Purshouse KR, Bai H, Liu Y, Sundaram RK, Hegan DC, Fons NR, Breuer GA, Song Y, Mishra-Gorur K, De Feyter HM, de Graaf RA, Surovtseva YV, Kachman M, Halene S, Gunel M. “Production of 2-Hydroxyglutarate by IDH Mutant Malignancies Induces a BRCAness State That Can be Exploited By PARP Inhibitors and Radiation,” Poster presentation, ASTRO 59th Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA, Sept 24-27, 2017
- Corso CD, Park HS, Rutter CE, Lester-Coll NH, Mancini BR, Yeboa DN, Johung KL, “Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy Versus Conventionally Fractionated Radiation Therapy: A Propensity Score Matched Analysis of Survival in Unresected Pancreatic Cancer,” Oral presentation, ASTRO 57th Annual Meeting, San Antonio, TX, Oct 18-21, 2015
- Corso CD, Rutter CE, Park HS, Lester-Coll NH, Decker RH, “The Role of Chemoradiation in Elderly Limited-Stage Small-Cell Lung Cancer Patients,” Oral Presentation, American Radium Society 97th Annual Meeting, Kauai, HI, May 1-5 2015 and ASTRO 57th Annual Meeting, San Antonio, TX, Oct 18-21, 2015
- Corso CD, Park HS, Moreno AC, Kim AW, Husain Z, Yu JB, Decker RH, “Stage I Lung SBRT Clinical Practice Patterns,” Oral Presentation, ASTRO 56th Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA, Sept 14-17 2014
- Corso CD, Park HS, Moreno AC, Kim AW, Husain Z, Yu JB, Decker RH, “Demographic disparities in the use of SBRT for treating stage I NSCLC,” Poster Presentation, ASTRO 56th Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA, Sept 14-17 2014
- Corso CD, Lloyd S, Harder E, Mancini BR, Rutter CE, Decker RH, “Invasive Mediastinal Staging Does Not Improve Outcomes Over PET Alone in Early-Stage NSCLC Treated with SBRT,” Oral Presentation, ASTRO 56th Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA, Sept 14-17 2014
- Rutter CE, Lester-Coll NH, Mancini BR, Corso CD, Evans SB, “Evaluating National Practice in Breast Cancer Radiation Therapy for Elderly Women: Response to a Randomized Trial and Cost Effectiveness on a National Scale,” Poster Presentation, ASTRO 56th Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA, Sept 14-17 2014
- Mancini BR, Park HS, Harder E, Rutter CE, Corso CD, Decker RH, Husain ZA, “Elderly Patients Undergoing SBRT for Inoperable Early Stage NSCLC Achieve Similar Outcomes to Younger Patients,” Oral Presentation, ASTRO 56th Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA Sept 14-17 2014
- Lloyd S, Corso CD, Cardinale FS, McLaughlin C, Cardinale JG, “Robotic Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy for Prostate Adenocarcinoma,” Poster Presentation ASTRO 56th Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA Sept 14-17 2014
- Husain ZA, Kim AW, Yu JB, Decker RH, Corso CD, “Predictors of 30-Day Mortality Following Resection of Early Stage NSCLC: An Analysis of the National Cancer Database,” Oral Presentation, ASTRO 56th Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA Sept 14-17 2014
- Corso CD, Park HS, Moreno AC, Kim AW, Husain Z, Yu JB, Decker RH, “Stage I Lung SBRT Clinical Practice Patterns,” Oral Presentation, American Radium Society 96th Annual Meeting, St. Thomas, USVI, April 26-29 2014
- Corso CD, Bindra R, Yu JB, Contessa JN, “Factors predicting survival in Grade I-III astrocytomas”, Poster Presentation, ASTRO 55th Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA, Sept 22-25 2013
- Motwani SB, Contessa JN, Corso CD, Jain P, Modh A, Wang SS, Khan AJ, Knisely J, “Glioblastoma Multiforme of the Elderly: A Multi-Institutional Experience Comparing Conventional vs Accelerated Fractionated Radiotherapy with Concurrent Temozolomide,” Poster Presentation, ASTRO 55th Annual Meeting, Atlanta, GA, Sept 22-25 2013
- Corso CD, Ginsburg J, Wen J, Willard M, “Evaluating the HSP90 Inhibitor Ganetespib as a Radiosensitizing Agent in Breast Cancer Models In Vitro”, Poster Presentation, ASTRO 54th Annual Meeting, Boston, MA, Oct 28-31 2012
- Corso CD, Wen J, Sica G, Muller S, Han J, Kim S, Diaz R, “Radiation Induces Upregulation of GRP94 (GP96) in Human Head and Neck Tumors,” Poster presentation, ASTRO 53rd Annual Meeting, Miami, FL, Oct 2-6 2011
- Ali A, Nunnery E, Corso CD, Jarrio C, Ghavidel S, Rossi P, Diaz R, “Individual Fraction Re-planning with Three-Dimensional CT for Single Channel Vaginal Cylinder High-Dose-Rate Brachytherapy: Imaging Technology Overkill?” Poster presentation, Cancer Imaging and Radiation Therapy Symposium, Atlanta, GA, Apr 29-30 2011
- Corso CD, Dickherber A, Hunt WD, “A thickness shear mode zinc oxide liquid sensor with off-axis excitation,” Manuscript and poster presentation, Proc. 2007 IEEE Sensors Conference, Atlanta GA, Oct 29-31 2007
- Dickherber A, Corso CD, Hunt WD, “Lateral Field Excitation (LFE) of Thickness Shear Mode (TSM) Acoustic Waves in Thin Film Bulk Acoustic Resonators (FBAR) as a Potential Biosensor,” Manuscript, Proc. 2006 IEEE EMBS Conference, NYC NY, Aug 28-Sep 3 2006
- Corso CD, Dickherber A, Shah P, Migdal A, Datta M, Datta S, Hunt WD, “Development of a Simple Inexpensive Bulk Acoustic Wave Nanosensor for Cancer Biomarkers: Detection of Secreted Sonic Hedgehog from Prostate Cancer Cells,” Poster presentation, 2006 Annual Meeting of the AACR, Washington DC, April 4, 2006