Hadley Sharp MD believes in partnering with patients to provide the highest quality of care. Prior to joining SERO, Dr. Sharp conducted research at the National Cancer Institute and MD Anderson Cancer Center. Her clinical interests include stereotactic radio surgery, IMRT and brachytherapy. She treats all tumor types. Dr. Sharp presents at national meetings, authors peer reviewed publications and conducts clinical trials. Committed to excellence in patient care, Dr. Sharp is welcoming new patients.
Hadley J. Sharp, MD
About Dr. Sharp
"I treat all patients with care and compassion and appreciate the opportunity to participate in your care."Dr. Sharp
American Society of Clinical Oncology, 3/2010- present
American Society of Radiation Oncology, 11/2008-present
Advocacy Day Resident Participant, 3/2010
American Association for Women in Radiology, 1/2010-present
Member in Training Committee Member
North Carolina Medical Society, 2012-present
Mecklenburg County Medical Society, 2012-present
South Carolina Medical Society, 2012-present
Awards & Affiliations
University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center
2008 — 2012
Clinical Radiation Oncology Residency
St. Joseph Exempla Hospital
2007 — 2008
Howard Hughes Medical Institute
2005 — 2006
HHMI-NIH Laboratory of Tumor Immunology and Biology, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health
University of Nebraska College of Medicine
MD with honors
B.S., Medical Mathematics
Find Dr. Sharp’s full list of publications on PubMed here.
- Sharp HJ, Denman D, Puumala S, Leopold DA. Treatment of acute and chronic rhinosinusitis in the United States, 1999-2002. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg., 33(3):260-5, 3/2007. Continuing Medical Education Article.
- Sharp HJ, Wansley EK, Garnett CT, Chakraborty M, Camphausen K, Schlom J, Hodge JW. Synergistic antitumor activity of immune strategies combined with radiation. Front Biosci., 12:4900-10,9/2007.
- Sharp H, Morris JC, Van Waes C, Gius 0, Cooely-Zgela T, Singh AK. High incidence of oral dysesthesias on a trial of gefitinib, paclitaxel, and concurrent external beam radiation for locally advanced head and neck cancers. Am J Clin Oncol. 2008 Dec;31 (6):557-60. 12/2008.
- Multi-Institution Target Delineation in Oncology Group. Human-Computer Interaction in Radiotherarpy Target Volume Delineation: A Prospective, Multi-Institutional Comparison of User Input Devices. J Digit Imaging. 2011 Oct; 24:794-803
- Kelly P, Balter PA, Rebueno N, Sharp HJ, Liao Z, Komaki R, Chang JY. Stereotactic body radiation therapy for patients with lung cancer previously treated with thoracic radiation. Int J Radiat Oneal BioI Phys. 2010 Dec 1;78(5):1387-93.
- Sharp HJ, Swanson DA, Patel H, Gorbatiy V, Frenzel JC, Frank SJ. Subacute Penile Numbness after Brachytherapy for Prostate Cancer. Brachytherapy.2011 Jan-Feb;10(1):64-7.
- Fontanilla HP, Woodward WA, Lindberg ME, Zhang L, Sharp HJ, Strom EA, Salehpour M, White J, Buchholz TA, Dong L. Automating RTOG-defined target volumes for postmastectomy radiation therapy. Practical Radiation Oncology. 2011 April; 1 (2): 97-104.
- Sharp HJ, Pinnix CC, Jhingran A, Euscher ED, Rohren EM, Ramirez PT. PET/CT in a patient with adenoma malignum of the uterine cervix. Clin Nucl Med. 2011 Jun;36(6):468-9.
- Skinner HD, Sharp HJ, Kaseb AO, Javle MM, Vauthey JN, Abdalla EK, Delclos ME, Das P, Crane CH, Krishnan S. Radiation treatment outcomes for unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma. Acta Oncol. 2011 Nov;50(8):1191-8. Epub 2011 Jul 27.
- Sharp HJ, Settle SH. Commentary on Her2/neu blockade in brain metastases Breast Diseases: A Year Book Quarterly Vol. 22, No. 3, October-December 2011
- Fontanilla HP, Woodward WA, Lindberg ME, Kanke JE, Arora G, Durbin RR, Yu TK, Zhang L, Sharp HJ, Strom EA, Salehpour M, White J, Buchholz TA, Dong L. Current clinical coverage of Radiation Therapy Oncology Group-defined target volumes for postmastectomy radiation therapy. Practical Radiation Oncology Nov 2011.
- Sharp HJ, Swanson DA, Pugh TJ, Zhang M, Phan J, Kudchadker R, Bruno TL, Kuban DA, Lee AK, Choi S, Nguyen Q, Hoffman KE, McGuire SE, Frank SJ. Screening colonoscopy before prostate cancer treatment can detect colorectal cancers in asymptomatic patients and reduce the rate of complications after brachytherapy. Practical Radiation Oncology. Jan 2012.
- Hodge JW, Sharp HJ, Gameiro SR. Abscopal regression of antigen disparate tumors by antigen cascade after systemic tumor vaccination in combination with local tumor radiation. Cancer Biother Radiopharm. 2012 Feb;27(1):12-22. doi: 10.1089/cbr.2012.1202. Epub 2012 Jan 27.
- Wang XS, Rhines LD, Shiu AS, Yang JN, Selek U, Gning I, Liu P, Allen PK, Azeem SS, Brown PD, Sharp HJ, Weksberg DC, Cleeland CS, Chang EL. Stereotactic body radiation therapy for management of spinal metastases in patients without spinal cord compression: a phase 1-2 trial. Lancet Oncol. 2012 Jan 26.
- Weksberg DC, Palmer MB, Vu KN, Rebueno NC, Sharp HJ, Luo D, Yang JN, Shiu AS, Rhines LD, McAleer MF, Brown PD, Chang EL. Generalizable Class Solutions for Treatment Planning of Spinal Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2012 Mar 21
- Sharp HJ, Grosshans D, Kadia T, Dabaja B. Cutaneous graft-versus-host disease after proton-based craniospinal irradiation for recurrent Philadelphia-positive acute lymphoblastic leukemia: a case report. BMJ Case reports accepted 2012 Mar
Selected Meeting Presentations
- Human Omental-Derived Adipose Stem Cells Decrease Ovarian Tumor Radiosensitivity and Promote Ovarian Tumor Proliferation, Migration and Growth. ASTRO Annual Meeting, Miami, 10/2011
- Prostate Brachytherapy Preceded by Screening Colonoscopy Diagnoses Colorectal Cancers in Asymptomatic Patients. Texas Radiologic Society 3/2010
- Radiation and Immunotherapy. Presentation, HHMI Scientific Discovery Banquet, Bethesda, Maryland, 4/2006
- Combination strategies with Iodine-125 brachytherapy and recombinant poxvirus vaccine., Laboratory of Tumor Immunology and Biology, NCI, NIH, Bethesda, Maryland, 5/2006
- Use of Iodine-125 brachytherapy and recombinant poxvirus cancer vaccine to increase tumor cell killing in vitro and in vivo., International Students Forum-Chinese Academy of Science, Beijing, China, 6/2006
- Active antigen specific systemic immunotherapy combined with brachytherapy in the treatment of carcinomas., Grand Rounds, Department of Radiation Oncology, MD Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, Texas, 6/2006
- High incidence of oral dysesthesias on a trial of gefitinib, palcitaxel, and concurrent external beam radiation for locally advanced head and neck cancers., ASTRO Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 11/2006
- Feasibility of Radiosurgical Decompression of Metastatic Epidural Spinal Cord Compression (MESCC) in Nonoperable Patients. ASTRO Annual Meeting, Boston, 10/2012
- Concurrent Temozolomide and Radiation in Elderly Patients with Glioblastoma: a Retrospective Analysis. ASTRO Annual Meeting, Miami, 10/2011
- Human omental-derived adipose stem cells support growth of intra-peritoneal ovarian cancer xenografts and increase proliferation and migration of ovarian cancer cells. AACR Annual Meeting, Orlando 3/2011
- The Influence of Race on Presentation and Outcome in Patients Irradiated for Prostate Cancer. American Society of Clinical Oncology, Genitourinary Symposium, San Francisco, 3/2010
- Prostate Brachytherapy Preceded by Screening Colonoscopy Diagnoses Colorectal Cancers in Asymptomatic Patients. American Radium Society Annual Meeting, Cancun Mexico, 5/2010, Poster of Distinction
- Combination of brachytherapy and immunotherapy to modulate phenotype and enhance antigen specific killing of tumor cells. HHMI Medical Fellows Meeting, Chevy Chase, Maryland, 5/2006
- Use of Iodine-125 brachytherapy and recombinant poxvirus cancer vaccine to increase tumor cell killing in vitro and in vivo. ASTRO Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 11/2006
- Combination of brachytherapy and immunotherapy to modulate phenotype and enhance antigen specific killing of tumor cells, Midwest Student Biomedical Research Forum, Omaha, Nebraska, 3/2007
- UT MDACC Medical Dosimetry Program: Sarcoma and the role of radiation, June 2009
- UT MDACC Radiation Therapy Program: Gastrointestinal malignancies, May 2010
- UT MDACC Medical Dosimetry Program: Sarcoma and the role of radiation, June 2010
- UT MDACC Radiation Therapy Program: Gastrointestinal malignancies, May 2011
- UT MDACC Medical Dosimetry Program: Brain tumors and radiation, May 2011