I thank God everyday for the unique opportunity to stand along side of my patients and to participate in their cancer “journey.” It is a privilege and the reason that I chose radiation oncology as my career. When not working, I enjoy spending time outdoors with my 2 kids and my wife. I have enjoyed coaching my kids in sports throughout the year. I also enjoy taking part in my local church activities and fellowship.
Jerome M. Butler, MD
About Dr. Butler
"I strive to provide excellent and compassionate care to all of my patients."Dr. Butler
Awards & Affiliations
Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center
2004 — 2008
Resident, Department of Radiation Oncology
W. Robert Lee, MD and Kevin P. McMullen, MD, Program Directors
Wake Forest University School of Medicine
Doctor of Medicine
Wake Forest University
Bachelor of Science Magna Cum Laude
Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital
Find Dr. Butler’s full list of publications on PubMed here.
- J. Butler, Jr., M.D., D. Case, Ph.D., G. Lesser, M.D., V. Stieber, M.D., K. McMullen, M.D., R McQuellon, Ph.D., D. Moose, M.D., S. Rapp, Ph.D. M. Naughton, Ph.D., N. Avis, Ph.D. and E. Shaw, M.D. A Phase III, Double Blind, Prospective Randomized Clinical Trial of Effect of d-threo-methylphenidate HCl (d-MPH) on Quality of Life in Brain Tumor Patients Receiving Radiation Therapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2007 Dec 1;69(5):1496-501. Epub 2007 Sep 14.
- John Gleason, Jr., B.A., Douglas Case, Ph.D., Stephen Rapp, Ph.D., Michelle Naughton, Ph.D., Edward Ip, Ph.D., Jerome Butler, M.D., Kevin McMullen, M.D., Volker Stieber, M.D., Paul Saconn, B.A., and Edward G. Shaw, M.D. Symptom Clusters in Newly-Diagnosed Brain Tumor Patients. Journal of Supp Oncology, Volume 5, Number, October 2007.
- Wentworth S, Butler J, and Blackstock A. Integrating Anti-Angiogenic Therapy into the Treatment of Locally Advanced Pancreatic Cancer. Advances in Pancreatic Cancer, Vol 1, No.1, September 2007.
- Suzanne Russo MD, Jerome Butler, M.D., Roger Ove MD PhD, and A. William Blackstock MD. Management of Locally Advanced Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma. Seminars in Oncology, Volume 34, Issue 4, 327-334, August 2007.
- Butler JM, Rapp SR, Shaw EG: Managing the Cognitive Effects of Brain Tumor Radiation Therapy; In (eds): Current Treatment Options in Oncology 2006, 7:517-523.
- A. William Blackstock M.D., Coty Ho, M.D., Jerome Butler, M.D., June Fletcher-Steede, B.A., L. Douglas Case, Ph.D. William Hinson, Ph.D. and Antonius A. Miller, M.D. Phase Ia/Ib Chemoradiation Trial of Gemcitabine and Dose-escalated Thoracic Radiation in Patients with Stage III A/B Non Small Cell Lung Cancer. Journal of Thoracic Oncology, Vol 1, Number 5, June 2006.
- Girish Mishra, MD, Jerome Butler, MD, Coty Ho, MD, Susan Melin, MD, L. Douglas Case, PhD, Russell Howerton, Edward Levine, MD, and A. William Blackstock, MD. Phase II Trial of Induction Gemcitabine/CPT-11 Followed by a Twice-Weekly Infusion of Gemcitabine and Concurrent External Beam Radiation for the Treatment of Locally Advanced Pancreatic Cancer. American Journal of Clinical Oncology, Vol 28, Number 4, August 2005.
- Boles CA, Butler J, Lee JA, Reedy ML, Martin DF. Magnetic resonance characteristics of medial plica of the knee: correlation with arthroscopic resection. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2004 May-Jun;28(3):397-401.
- Blackstock, A.W., Melin, S., Lesser, G., Butler, J., Patton, S., et al. Irinotecan/Gemcitabine Followed by Twice Weekly Gemcitabine and Radiation for the Treatment of Locally Advanced Pancreatic Cancer. Oncology, Vol 16, No 5, Supplement 5, May 2002.
Selected Meeting Presentations
- J.M. Butler, B. E. Lally, R. D’Agostino, J. J. Urbanic, S. Wentworth, E. Paskett, A. W. Blackstock. Impact of Race and Marital Status on Survival and Stage at Presentation for Patients with Colorectal Cancer: An Analysis of Data from the Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End-Results (SEER) program – ASTRO 48th Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA 10/2006 – North Carolina Oncology Association / South Carolina Oncology Society Joint Fall 2007 Membership Meeting, Charleston, SC
- Lally BE, Urbanic JJ, Butler JM, Wentworth S, Thomas CR, Blackstock AW. Outcomes of patients with limited-stage small cell lung cancer treated with radiotherapy: Analysis of data from the Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End-Results (SEER) program. ASTRO 48th Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA 10/2006
- S. Wentworth, B. Lally, J. Butler, J. Urbanic, A. Blackstock. Impact of Race on Survival and Radiotherapy Use in Patients with Non-Metastatic Rectal Cancer: Analysis of Data from the Surveillance, Epidemiology and End-Results (SEER) Program; ASTRO 48th Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, PA 10/2006
- J. Butler, Jr., M.D., D. Case, Ph.D., G. Lesser, M.D., V. Stieber, M.D., K. McMullen, M.D., R McQuellon, Ph.D., D. Moose, M.D., S. Rapp, Ph.D. M. Naughton, Ph.D., N. Avis, Ph.D. and E. Shaw, M.D. A Phase III, Double Blind, Prospective Randomized Clinical Trial of Effect of d-threo-methylphenidate HCl (d-MPH) on Quality of Life in Brain Tumor Patients Receiving Radiation Therapy. ASTRO, 47th Annual Meeting, Denver, CO 10/2005
- Butler, Jerome, B.S., Outcomes among African-Americans and non African-American patients with advanced NSCLC receiving chemotherapy. A report from the Cancer and Leukemia Group B (CALGB); Oral Presentation, North Carolina Department Health Human Services Cancer Advisory Meeting; Raleigh, Durham, April 2002. Poster Presentation at 8th Biennial Symposium on Minorities, the Medically Underserved & Cancer in Washington, D.C. February 2002
- W. T. Kearns, W. H. Hinson, C. J. Hampton, J. M. Butler, J. J. Urbanic, D. Starnes, A. F. deGuzman, V. W. Stieber. Radiation Safety Issues with PET/CT Simulation for Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy; Poster Presentation ASTRO 48th Annual Meeting, Phil, PA 10/2006
- J. J. Urbanic, W. H. Hinson, V. W. Stieber, J. M. Butler, W. T. Kearns, C. J. Hampton, A. W. Blackstock. Heterogeneity Corrections in Stereotactic Body Radiotherapy (54 Gy in 3 Fractions) for Lung Tumors Significantly Alter Delivered Dose; Poster Presentation ASTRO 48th Annual Meeting, Phil, PA 10/2006
- John Gleason, Jr., B.A., Douglas Case, Ph.D., Stephen Rapp, Ph.D., Michelle Naughton, Ph.D., Edward Ip, Ph.D., Jerome Butler, M.D., Kevin McMullen, M.D., Volker Stieber, M.D., Paul Saconn, B.A., and Edward G. Shaw, M.D. Symptom Clusters in Newly-Diagnosed Brain Tumor Patients. Poster Presentation 2006 ASCO Annual Meeting; Proceedings Part I. Vol 24, No. 18S (June 20 Supplement), 2006: 8587
- B.E. Lally, J. Butler, G. Mishra, E. Pasket and A.W. Blackstock. The Impact of Ethnicity on Survival for Patients with Pancreatic Cancer: A SEER Analysis. Poster Presentation, 2006 Gastrointestinal Cancer Symposium (GI ASCO), San Francisco, CA, January 2006.
- Jerome Butler, Jr. M.D., Mabe Aklilu M.D., Coty Ho M.D., Edward Levine M.D., John Stewart M.D. and A. William Blackstock M.D. A Phase I Dose-Escalating Study of Induction Gemcitabine/Premetrexed followed by Premetrexed and Concurrent Upper Abdominal Radiation Therapy in Patients with Locally Advanced Pancreatic Cancer. Poster Presentation at Lilly Oncology Young Investigators Meeting in San Antonio, Texas, April 2005
- Hess, SM, Butler, J., Anderson, J., Blackstock, A.W. The effect of BBR3464 on colon cancer cells. Poster Presentation, Radiation Research Meeting, Reno, Nevada, April 2002
- Boles, CA, M.D., Martin, DF, M.D., Butler, J, B.S., MR Imaging of Medial Synovial Plicae: Characteristics with Arthroscopic Correlation. Annual Meeting of the Society of Skeletal Radiology, February 2001
- Butler, Jerome, B.S., Evans, Robert, PhD., Is Health Care Y2K Compliant? A Study of Managed Health Care Systems vs. Socialized Medicine. Presented to Wake Forest University Page Acree Committee on International Research, 8/1999