I am originally from Colorado, but have called the Charlotte area home for more than a decade. While radiation oncology is a uniquely technology-driven specialty, it is the relationship formed with my patients that inspires me each and every day. When not at work, I enjoy tennis, running, photography, and, more than anything else, spending time with my wife and 3 children.
About Dr. McCammon
American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology, 2004
American Society of Clinical Oncology, 2006
American Brachytherapy Society, 2006
American Medical Association, 1999
Colorado Medical Society, 1999
Alpha Omega Alpha, 2002
Mecklenburg County Medical Society, 2008
Awards & Affiliations
Cyberknife Cranial and Extracranial Radiosurgery Special Training
ABS Prostate Brachytherapy Fellowship
University of Colorado Health Sciences Center
2004 — 2008
Resident, Department of Radiation Oncology
Presbyterian/St. Luke’s Hospital
2003 — 2004
University of Colorado Health Sciences Center
2001 — 2003
Doctor of Medicine, Buckley Scholarship for Outstanding Student in Basic Sciences
1997 — 2001
Bachelor of Arts Economics, cum laude, Merit Scholarship
Charlotte, North Carolina
Find Dr. McCammon’s full list of publications on PubMed here.
- Pugh TJ, Ballonoff A, Rusthoven KE, McCammon R, Kavanagh B, Newman F, Rabinovitch R. Cardiac Mortality in Patients with Stage I and II Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma Treated with and without Radiation: A Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End-Results Analysis. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2009, June 8.
- McCammon R, Rusthoven KE, Kavanagh B, Newell S, Newman F, Raben D. Toxicity Assessment of Pelvic Intensity-Modulated Radiotherapy with Hypofractionated Simultaneous Integrated Boost to Prostate for Intermediate- and High-Risk Prostate Cancer. IJROBP 2009, April 11.
- Schwer A, Kavanagh B, McCammon RJ, et al. Radiographic and histopathologic observations after combined EGFR inhibition and hypofractionated stereotactic radiosurgery in patients with recurrent malignant gliomas.Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2009 Apr 1;73(5):1352-7.
- McCammon R, Schefter T, Gaspar L, Gravdahl D, Kavanagh B. Observation of A dose-control relationship with dose escalation with stereotactic body radiation therapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2009 Jan 1;73(1):112-8.
- McCammon R, Schwer A, Finlayson C, and Rabinovitch R. Impact of postmastectomy radiotherapy in T3N0 invasive carcinoma of the breast: A Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End Results database analysis. Cancer 2008; August 15;115(4):683-89.
- Schwer AL, Ballonoff A, McCammon RJ, Rusthoven K, et al. Survival effect of neoadjuvant radiotherapy before esophagectomy for patients with esophageal cancer: a surveillance, epidemiology, and end-results study. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2009 Feb 1;73(2):449-55.
- Ballonoff A, Rusthoven K, Schwer A, McCammon RJ, et al. Outcomes and effect of radiotherapy in patients with stage I or II diffuse large B-cell lymphoma: a surveillance, epidemiology, and end results analysis. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2008 Dec 1;72(5):1465-71.
- McCammon RJ, Furuya CE, Raben D, Song JI, Kane M, Gaspar LE, Chen C. The influence of fluorine-18-flourodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography (FDG-PET) on the clinical management of patients with head and neck cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2006;66(3):S184-185.
- Ballenger’s Otorhinolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, B.C. Decker Publishers, 17th edition. McCammon RJ, Chen C, Suntha M, Raben D. Chemoradiation for Head and Neck Cancer: Current Approaches and Future Directions.
- Web MD (www.webmd.com). McCammon RJ. Gynecologic Malignancies, 2005.
- UpToDate (www.uptodate.com). McCammon RJ. Spinal Cord and Peripheral Nerve Toxicity from Radiation, 2005
Selected Meeting Presentations
- McCammon RJ, Zeng C, Kavanagh B. Improved local control associated with stereotactic body radiation therapy (SBRT) dose escalation indicates a dose-response relationship. American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology (ASTRO) 2007 Annual Meeting, Los Angeles, CA. Poster Presentation
- McCammon RJ, Finlayson T, Rabinovitch R. Survival Impact of Post-mastectomy Radiotherapy in T3N0 Invasive Ductal or Lobular Carcinoma of the Breast: A Surveillance, Epidemiology, and End-Results (SEER) Database Analysis. American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Breast Symposium 2007, San Francisco, CA. Poster Presentation
- McCammon RJ, Furuya CE, Raben D, Song JI, Kane M, Gaspar LE, Chen C. The influence of fluorine-18-flourodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography (FDG-PET) on the clinical management of patients with head and neck cancer. American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology (ASTRO), Philadelphia, PA, November 5-9, 2006. Poster Presentation
- Raben D, McCammon RJ, Newell S, Kavanagh B. Acute toxicity assessment of a single institution series of prostate cancer patients treated with pelvic intensity modulated radiation therapy with synchronous integrated boost to the prostate or prostate bed. American Society for Therapeutic Radiology and Oncology (ASTRO), Philadelphia, PA, November 5-9, 2006. Poster Viewing
- McCammon RJ. Rocky Mountain Thoracic Oncology Symposium, Beaver Creek, CO, October 2004. Case Presentation